My main areas of work are looking at ways to improve product quality, resource use efficiency and environmental sustainability through the manipulation of resource inputs and growing environments. Improvement of water use efficiency and product quality using irrigation management techniques. Improvement of product quality by manipulation of agronomic techniques. Improving plant establishment. I work across many UK horticulture sectors, including soft fruit, tree fruit, hardy nursery stock, protected edibles, protected ornamental and also with novel crops (e.g. Artemisia annua and Miscanthus). I am also involved in ecological projects including alternatives to herbicides for weed control on pavements, biodiversity in farm woodlands.
- Johnson, A.W., Davies, M.J., Grant ,O.M. and Simpson, D.W. (2014). Developing strawberry cultivars with improved water use efficiency Acta Horticulturae 1049. 853-858.
- Christopher J. Atkinson, Michael J. Davies, June M. Taylor and Helen Longbottom . (2013). Linking ascorbic acid production in Ribes nigrum with fruit development and changes in sources and sinks. Annals of Botany 111 (4). 703-712.
- Grant ,O.M., Davies, M.J., Johnson, A.W. and Simpson, D.W. (2012). Physiological and morphological responses to water deficits in cultivated strawberry (Fragaria ananassa) and in one of its progenitors, F. chiloensis. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 83; 23-32.
- Cockram, J., Hill, C., Burns, C., Arroo, R.R.J., Wooley, J.G., Flockart, I., Robinson T., Atkinson C.J., Davies M.J., Dungey, N., Greenland, A.J., Smith, L., Bentley, S. (2012). Screening a diverse collection of Artemisia annua germplasm for accessions with elevated levels of the anti-malarial compound, artemisinin. Plant Genetic Resources 10 (2). pp. 152-154.
- Olga M. Grant, Michael J. Davies, Abigail W. Johnson, David W. Simpson . (2012). Physiological and growth responses to water deficits in cultivated strawberry (Fragaria ×ananassa) and in one of its progenitors, Fragaria chiloensis. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 83. pp 23-32.
- Grant, O.M, Davies, M.J, James, C.M, Johnson, A.W, Leinonen, I., Simpson, D.W. (2012). Thermal imaging and carbon isotope composition indicate variation amongst strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa) cultivars in stomatal conductance and water use efficiency. Environmental and Experimental Botany, Vol 76. pp 7-15.
- Grant, O.M, Davies, M.J, Longbottom, H., Harrison-Murray, R. (2012). Evapotranspiration of container ornamental shrubs: modelling crop specific factors for a diverse range of crops. Irrigation Science, Vol 30, No 1. 1-12.
- Davies, M. J, Atkinson, C. J, Burns, C, Arroo, R, Woolley, J. (2011). Increases in leaf artemisinin concentration in Artemisia annua in response to the application of phosphorus and boron. Industrial Crops And Products 34 (3). pp 1465-1473.
- Davies, M. J, Longbottom, H, Atkinson, C. J. (2011). Changes in duration of rhizome cold storage and manipulation of the growing environment to promote field establishment of Miscanthus giganteus. Biomass and Bioenergy 35 (10). pp 4268-4279.
- OM Grant, MJ Davies, H Longbottom, R. Harrison-Murray, A. Herrero . (2011). Application of deficit irrigation to controlling growth of hardy nursery stock. ISHS Acta Horticulturae 889 .
- Davies, M.J., Taylor, J.M., Ford, Y.Y., Dodds, P.A.A., Longbottom, H., Hipps, N.A. and Atkinson, C.J. (2010). Opportunities for agronomic manipulation of ascorbic acid yield in fruit crops: a case study with Ribes nigrum L. Functional Plant Science and Biotechnology, 4 (special issue 1). 53-65.
- Grant, O.M, Johnson, A.W, Davies, M.J, James, C.M, Simpson, D.W . (2010). Physiological and morphological diversity of cultivated strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa) in response to water deficit. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 68 (3) . pp 264-272.
- Johnson, A.W., Grant, O.M., Davies, M.J., James, C.M., Passey, A.J. & Simpson, D.W. (2009). Determining the response of ten strawberry cultivars to water-limited conditions. Acta Horticulturae Proceedings of the VI International Strawberry Symposium, 842: 769-772.
- Johnson, A.W., Grant, O.M., Davies, M.J., Passey, A.J. & Simpson, D.W. (2009). Investigating the response of strawberry to water-deficit conditions. Acta Horticulturae Proceedings of the Workshop on Berry Production in Changing Climate Conditions and Cultivation Systems 838:169-173.
- Davies, M. J, Atkinson, C. J, Burns, C, Woolley, J., Hipps, N.A., Arroo, R.R.J., Dungey, N., Robinson, T., Brown, P., Flockart, I., Hill, C., Smith, L., and Bentley, S. (2009). Enhancement of artemisinin concentration and yield in response to optimization of nitrogen and potassium supply to Artemisia annua. Annals of Botany, 104. 315-323.
- HIPPS, N.A, DAVIES, M.J, DODDS, P, & BUCKLEY, G.P . (2005). Effects of phosphorus nutrition and soil pH on the growth of some ancient woodland indicator plants and their interaction with competitor species. Plant and Soil 271. pp 131-141.
- HIPPS, N. A. DAVIES, M. J. & JOHNSON, D. S. (2004). Effects of different ground vegetation management systems on soil quality, growth and fruit quality of culinary apple trees. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 79 (4). 610-618.
- DAVIES, M. J., HIPPS, N. A. & KINGSWELL, G. (2002). Effects of indole-3-butyric acid root dips on the root development and shoot growth of transplanted Fagus sylvatica L. and Quercus robur L. seedlings. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, 77. 209-216.
- Grant, O.M, Davies, M.J, Longbottom, H, Atkinson, C.J . Irrigation scheduling and irrigation systems: Optimising irrigation efficiency for container ornamental shrubs. Irrigation Science, 27 (2) . pp 139-153.
- HIPPS, N. A. & DAVIES, M. J. Effects of foliar zinc applications at different times in the growing season on tissue concentrations, fruit set, yield and grade out of culinary apple trees. Acta Horticulturae, No. 564. pp 145-151.