Dr Louisa Robinson-Boyer
Having recently successfully completed my PhD I am continuing employment at NIAB EMR as a post-doctoral researcher. I have worked on arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) for 14 years firstly at the University of Kent and now at NIAB EMR.
My research focuses on examining the role that mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) and plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) play in the uptake of water and nutrients in crop production. I have a particular interest in the use of these beneficial microorganisms in commercial strawberry substrate production. Current research focuses on plant response to AMF and PGPR and the possible mechanisms responsible for the observed benefits to plants. Novel molecular methods, such as high throughput sequencing and RNA seq, are being used to better understand these complex interactions.
- Robinson Boyer, Louisa, Wei Feng, Natallia Gulbis, Klara Hajdu, Richard J Harrison, Peter Jeffries, Xiangming Xu. (2016). The Use of Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi to Improve Strawberry Production in Coir Substrate. Frontiers in Plant Science. 7:1237.
- L. Robinson-Bower, P. Brain, P. Jeffries, X.-M. Xu. (2015). Effect of inoculation of drought-stressed strawberry with a mixed inoculum of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: qPCR studies of population dynamics of inoculum in roots Mycorrhizae, 25. 215-27. DOI 10.1007/s00572-014-0603-6.
- L. Robinson Boyer, P. Brain, X. Xu, P. Jeffries. (2015). Inoculation of drought-stressed strawberry with a mixed inoculum of two arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: effects on population dynamics of fungal species in roots and consequential plant tolerance to water deficiency Mycorrhiza, 25:3. 215-227 DOI 10.1007/s00572-014-0603-6.
- Abu Shamim Mohammad Nahiyan, Yoh-ichi Matsubara, Louisa Robinson Boyer and Peter Jeffries. (2011). PCR-SSCP Analysis of Fusarium Diversity in Asparagus Decline in Japan European Journal of Plant Pathology 130. 197–203.
- R.S. Oliveira, L.R. Boyer, M.F. Carvalho, P. Jeffries, M. Vosátka, P.M.L. Castro, J.C. Dodd. (2010). Genetic, phenotypic and functional variation within a Glomus geosporum isolate cultivated with or without the stress of a highly alkaline anthropogenic sediment Applied Soil Ecology 45. 39-48.
- Robinson Boyer, L., Jeger, M.J., Xu, X. and Jeffries, P. (2009). Management of strawberry grey mould using mixtures of biocontrol agents with different mechanisms of action Biocontrol Science and Technology 19:10. 1051-1065.
- Robinson Boyer, L., Grzyb, I., Jeffries, P. (2008). Shifting the balance from qualitative to quantitative analysis of arbuscular mycorrhizal communities in field soils Fungal Ecology. Doi:10.1016/j.funeco.2008.11.001.
- Jeffries, P., Robinson Boyer, L., Newsam, R., Rice, P., and Dodd, J. (2007). Ultrastructure of spore development in Scutellospora heterogama Mycorrhiza 17. 395–403.
- Rodriguez, A., Clapp, J. P., Robinson, L. and Dodd, J. C. (2005). Studies on the morphological, biochemical and genetic diversity of the distinct phylogenetic lineage encompassing the Glomus claroideum and Glomus etunicatum Mycorrhiza 15. 33-46.