Dr Trisna Tungadi
My main interests are in the biology of insect crop pests and plant-virus-vector interactions. In particular on how findings from the lab can be translated and applied in the field to benefit farmers and growers alike. My current work is a BBSRC-funded project where my role is to investigate the biology and behavior of the spotted wing Drosophila, D. suzukii. D. suzukii is a major pest for soft and stone fruit production. Prior to joining NIAB EMR, I did my PhD with John Carr at the University of Cambridge. My previous research was focused on investigating how a plant virus manipulates the behavior of its insect vector, the aphids and how this may facilitate virus transmission. Lastly, I am a passionate about capacity building. I am actively involved to organise an annual molecular biology laboratory training workshops for African agricultural researcher in Cambridge and Benin Republic.
- Mutuku, J.M., Wamonje, F.O., Mukeshimana, G., Njuguna, J., Wamalwa, M., Choi, S.K., Tungadi, T., Djikeng, A., Kelly, K., Entfellner, J.B.D., Ghimire, S.R., Mignouna, H.M., Carr, J.P., and Harvey, J.J.W.. (2018). Metagenomic analysis of plant virus occurrence in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) in central Kenya. Frontiers in Microbiology . 9:2939. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.02939.
- Carr, J.P., Murphy, A.M., Tungadai, T., and Yoon, J.Y. . (2018). Plant defense signals : Players and pawns in plant-virus-vector interactions. Plant Sciences https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2018.04.011.
- Tungadi, T., Groen, S.C., Murphy, A.M., Pate, A.E., Iqbal, J., Bruce, T.J.A., Cunniffe, N.J., and Carr, J.P. . (2017). Cucumber mosaic virus and its 2b protein alter emission of host volatile organic compounds but not aphid vector settling in tobacco. Virology Journal, 14 : 91.
- Westwood, J.H., Lewsey, M.G., Murphy, A.M., Tungadi, T., Bates, A., Gilligan, C.A., and Carr, J.P. . (2013). Inhibition of jasmonic acid-regulated gene expression is a general property of viral suppressors of RNA silencing. Journal of General Virology, 95 : 733-739.
- Westwood, J.H., Groen, S.C., Du, Z., Murphy, A.M., Anggoro, D.T., Tungadi, T., Luang-In, V., Lewsey, M.G., Rossiter, J.T., Powell, G., Smith, A.G., and Carr, J.P. . (2013). A trio of viral protein tunes aphid-plant interactions in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLOS ONE, 8 : 12.
- Ziebell, H., Murphy, A.M, Groen, S.C., Tungadi, T., Westwood, J.H., Lewsey, M.G., Moulin, M., Kleczkowski, A., Smith, A.G., Stevens, M., Powell., G., and Carr, J.P. . (2011). Cucumber mosaic virus and its 2b RNA silencing suppressor modify plant-aphid interactions in tobacco. Scientific Reports, 1 : 187.