Dr Matevz Papp-Rupar
I am interested in development of innovative, sustainable approaches to pathogen control in horticulture production systems and understanding the basic molecular and ecological mechanisms involved.
My MSc and PhD were primarily focused on molecular plant pathology of phytoplasmas, plant viruses. During my postdoctoral project I have studied efficacy and molecular mechanisms of pulsed UV light induced plant immunity to reduce pre- and post-harvest infections of Botrytis cinerea in tomato and cut roses production systems.
Since I joined EMR applied and fundamental research of biocontrol agents and bio-stimulants to control apple canker (Neonectria ditissima), ash dieback (Hymenoscyphus fraxineus) and Phytopthtora species on strawberry, raspberry (P. fragariae and P. cactorum) and oak (P. ramorum). I am also interested in ecological implications of biocontrol agents; efficacy of biocontrol across different biomes/growing practices; impact of biocontrol organisms and bio-stimulants on natural microbial communities (rhizosphere and phylosphere), plant physiology (yield, nutrient and water use) and plant immunity.
- Scott, G., Dickinson, M., Shama, G., and Rupar, M.. (2018). A comparison of the molecular mechanisms underpinning high-intensity, pulsed polychromatic light and low-intensity UV-C hormesis in tomato fruit. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 137,. 46-55. doi: 10.10.16/j.postharvbio.2017.10.017.
- Scott, G., Rupar, M, Fletcher, AGD, Dickinson, M and Shama, G.A. (2017). Comparison of low intensity UV-C and high intensity pulsed polychromatic sources as elicitors of hormesis in tomato fruit. Postharvest Biology and Technology,. 125, pp.52-58.
- Kutnjak, D., Rupar M., Gutierrez-Aguirre I., Curk T, Kreuze, J.F., Ravnikr, M.. (2015). Deep sequencing of Virus-Derived Small interfacing RNAs and RNA from Viral Particles Shows Highly Similar Mutational Landscapes of a Plant Virus Population. J. Virol.,. vol. 89 no. 9 4760-4769.
- Rupar, M., Faurez, F., Tribodet, M., Gutiérrez-Aguirre, I., Delaunay, A., Glais, L ,Križnik, M., Dobnik, D., Grunden, K., K., Jacquot, E., Ravnikar, M.. (2015). Fluorescently tagged Potato virus Y: a versatile tool for functional analysis of plant-virus interactions. Molecular plant-microbe interactions,. vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 739-750.
- Gutiérrez-Aguirre, I, Hodnik V, Glais L, Rupar M, Jacquot E, Anderluh G, Ravnikar M.. (2014 Feb). Surface plasmon resonance for monitoring the interaction of Potato virus Y with monoclonal antibodies. Anal Biochem.. 15;447:74-81.
- Rupar, M, ,Kogovšek, P, Pompe Novak, N, Gutiérrez-Aguirre, I, Delaunay, A, Jacquot, E, Ravnikar, M.. (2013). Assessment of SNaPshot and single step RT-qPCR methods of discriminating Potato virus Y (PVY) subgroups. Methods. vol. 189, issue 1, pp.93.
- Rupar, M, Ravnikar, M, Tušek-Žnidarič, M, Kramberger, P, Glais L, Gutiérrez-Aguirre, I.. (2013). Fast purification of the filamentous Potato virus Y using monolithic chromatographic supports. J. chromatogr., A. vol. 1272, pp. 33-40.