Dr Lucas Shuttleworth
My research interests include plant-pathogen interactions, insect-microbe interactions, integrated disease management, biological control, biostimulants, fungal and bacterial taxonomy, -omics approaches to understanding and controlling pests and disease, and postharvest biology. My current work at NIAB EMR focuses on fungal, oomycete and bacterial diseases of top fruit (apple canker, cherry canker) and soft fruit (crown rot of strawberry, root rot of raspberry). I also have an interest in insect vector biology, particularly the transmission of plant pathogens by insect pests. I am also a NIAB EMR Plant Health Officer, and manage the EMS Plant Clinic diagnosing a range of plant diseases for industry.
Staff Recent Research Projects
The role of endophytes in affecting European canker development on apple; Duration: 2017-2021; Partners: NIAB, AHDB Horticulture, Frank P Matthews Ltd., Avalon Produce Ltd., Adrian Scripps Ltd., Wordwide Fruit Ltd., ENZA (New Zealand); Funding: BBSRC LINK.
Horti-BlueC; Sustainable up-cycling of agro-, agrofood and fisheries residues in horticulture and agriculture as bioenergy, biochar and chitin-rich products; Duration: 2018-2021; Partners: NIAB EMR, ILVO (Belgium), ECN TNO (Netherlands), University of Lille (France), ADAS (UK), Agaris (Netherlands), Cato (Netherlands), University of Portsmouth, Proefcentrum Hoogstraten (Belgium); Funding: EU Interreg.
Improving integrated pest and disease management in tree fruit; Duration 2015-2021; Funding: Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB).
Collaborative training programme (CTP) for fruit crop research; Duration: 2017-2024; Partners: Berry Gardens Growers Limited, NIAB EMR, Marks and Spencer Plc, AHDB Horticulture, Mack, The National Association of Cider Makers, Worldwide Fruit Ltd; Funding: BBSRC. I currently co-supervise CTP PhD student Eithne Browne studying Phytophthora root rot of raspberry in the UK.
South Coast Biosciences Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) Partners: University of Southhampton, University of Kent, University of Sussex, University of Portsmouth and NIAB EMR. Starting in Oct 2021, I will be co-supervising a PhD student with Dr Becky Hall form the University of Kent on the project Identification of novel antifungals to prevent food spoilage.
University of Greenwich Natural Resources Institute PhD student supervision. I currently co-supervise Asoo Yaji with Dr Richard Colgan, Dr Steven Harte and Dr Charlotte Nellist (NIAB EMR) studying volatiles associated with Neonectria ditissima infection of apple fruit during storage.
Panel member of AHDB SCEPTREplus. Duration 2019-2022.
>22 peer-reviewed articles
My full publication list is available on ResearchGate and Google Scholar
- BB Blanda, LF Arias-Giraldo, B Henricot, M Montes-Borrego, LA Shuttleworth, A Perez-Sierra. (2021). Diversity of Phytophthora species detected in disturbed and undisturbed British soils using high-throughput sequencing targeting ITS rRNA and COI mtDNA regions Forests. IN PRESS.
- LA Shuttleworth. (2021). Alternative control strategies for disease in UK organic apple production CABI Agriculture & Bioscience. IN PRESS.
- LA Shuttleworth, C. Gorton, A Lewis, A. Perez-Sierra. (2020). Demdrostoma luteum sp. nov. In: Crous et al Fungal Plant Description Sheets 1042-1111. Persoonia 44:301-459. doi 10.3767/persoonia.2020.44.11.
- AT Deutscher, TA Chapman, M Riegler, LA Shuttleworth, OL Reynolds. (2019). Tephritid-microbial interactions to enhance fruit fly performance under the sterile insect technique BMC Microbiology. In press.
- LA Shuttleworth, MAM Khan, T Osborne, D Collins, M Srivastava, O L Reynolds.. (2019). A walk on the wild side: gut bacteria fed to mass-reared larvae of Queensland fruit fly [Bactrocera tryoni (Froggatt)] influence development BMC Biotechnology 19 (Supplement 2):95. doi 10.1186/s12896-019-0579-6.
- JA Toribio, R Markham, L Carter, A Law, R Alders, M Dibley, M Walton, LA Shuttleworth, DI Guest. (2018). Research for development to improve health outcomes from agriculture for rural communities: what is needed? Food Security. 10(3): 661-675. Published online April 2018. doi 10.1007/s12571-018-0787-2.
- TI Burgess, YP Tan, J Garnas, J Edwards, K Scarlett, LA Shuttleworth, R Daniel, EK Dann, L Parkinson, Q Đinh, R Shivas, F Jami. (2018). Current status of the Botryosphaeriaceae in Australia Australasian Plant Pathology. Published online 4 July 2018. doi 10.1007/s13313-018-0577-5.
- K Scarlett, LA Shuttleworth, D. Collins, C Rothwell , D Guest , R Daniel. (2018). Botryosphaeriales associated with stem blight and dieback of blueberry (Vaccinium spp.) in New South Wales and Western Australia Australasian Plant Pathology. Published online 1 August 2018. doi 10.1007/s13313-018-0584-6.
- LA Shuttleworth, DM Walker, DI Guest. (2018). The fungus, the Code and the mysterious publication date: Why Gnomoniopsis smithogilvyi is still the correct name for the chestnut rot fungus IMA Fungus. In press.
- MAM Khan, LA Shuttleworth, T Osborne, D Collins, GM Gurr, OL Reynolds. (2018). Raspberry ketone improves mating performance of sterile male Queensland fruit fly, Bactrocera tryoni (Froggatt) Pest Management Science. In press.
- LA Shuttleworth, DI Guest. (2017). The infection process of chestnut rot, an important disease caused by Gnomoniopsis smithogilvyi (Gnomoniaceae, Diaporthales) in Oceania and Europe Australasian Plant Pathology. 46(5): 397-405. Published online 3 July 2017. doi 10.1007/s13313-017-0502-3.
- LA Shuttleworth, K Scarlett, P. Entwisle, R Daniel. (2016). Elsinoë eelemani sp. nov Persoonia: Fungal Planet Description Sheets 469-557. 37: 469-557. doi 10.3767/003158516X694499.
- MH Laurence, JL Walsh, LA Shuttleworth, DM Robinson, RM Johansen, TTH Vu, LW Burgess, BA Summerell, ECY Liew. (2015). Six novel Fusarium species recovered from natural ecosystems of Australia Fungal Diversity. 77: 349. doi 10.1007/s13225-015-0337-6.
- K Scarlett, R Daniel, LA Shuttleworth, B Roy, T Bishop, DI Guest. (2015). Phytophthora in the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area Australasian Plant Pathology. 44(3): 335-348. doi 10.1007/s13313-015-0355-6 .
- LA Shuttleworth, DM Walker, DI Guest. (2015). Gnomoniopsis smithogilvyi and its synonyms Mycotaxon. 130 (4): 929-940. doi: 10.5248/130.929 - URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/291336238_The_chestnut_pathogen_Gnomoniopsis_smithogilvyi_Gnomoniaceae_Diaporthales_and_its_synonyms.
- LA Shuttleworth, K Scarlett, R Daniel, DI Guest. (2015). Phytophthora gondwanensis sp. nov Fungal Planet Description Sheets. 35:1-399. doi: 10.3767/003158515X690269 .
- M Doilom, LA Shuttleworth, J Roux, E Chukeatirote, KD Hyde. (2014). Barriopsis tectonae sp. nov. a new species of Botryosphaeriaceae from Tectona grandis (teak) in Thailand Phytotaxa. 176 (1): 81-91. doi 10.11646/phytotaxa.176.1.10 .
- M Doilom, LA Shuttleworth, J Roux, E Chukeatirote, KD Hyde. (2014). Botryosphaeriaceae associated with Tectona grandis (teak) in Northern Thailand Phytotaxa. 233(1): 1-26. doi 10.11646/phytotaxa.233.1.1 .
- PW Crous, LA Shuttleworth. (2013). Pseudocatenomycopsis rothmanniae sp. nov Persoonia. Fungal Planet Description Sheets 154-213. 31: 188-296. doi 10.3767/003158513X675925.
- LA Shuttleworth, ECY Liew, DI Guest. (2013). Survey of the incidence of chestnut rot in south-eastern Australia Australasian Plant Pathology . 42(1): 63-72. doi 10.1007/s13313-012-0170-2 .
- LA Shuttleworth, ECY Liew, DI Guest. (2012). Gnomoniopsis smithogilvyi sp. nov Persoonia. Fungal Planet Description Sheets 107-127. 28: 138-182. doi: 10.3767/003158512X652633.
- G.Rogers, Shuttleworth L., M. Fox, S. Fuentes, M Dalton, J. Conroy . (2008). Evaluation of a combined soil EC and moisture sensor and its use to co-manage soil moisture and vine nutrition in grapevines (cv Shiraz) under deficit irrigation Acta Horticulturae 792:543-549. . doi 10.17660/ActaHortic.2008.792.6.