Dr Eleftheria Stavridou
The aim of my research is to understand the nutritional requirements of both annual and perennial production systems and develop “best” management strategies that improve nutrient use efficiency in economically important crops while maintaining and/or improving existing yields and quality. I am also interest to manipulate nutrient supply to enhance secondary plant compounds on fruit and vegetables. To achieve this I study the influence of nutrient availability on phytonutrient biosynthesis, using physiological and molecular biological tools.
Selected current projects
|2018-2021: VisionDSS: a low cost portable imaging solution to improve quality, increase productivity and reduce storage losses of premium apple varieties, IUK (PI)|
|2016-2018: Transfer of INNOvative techniques for sustainable WAter use in FERtigated crops — FERTINNOWA, Horizon2020 (PI)|
|2015-2019: Developing resource-use efficient strawberries for substrate production, Agri-Tech Catalyst (Researcher co-I)|
|2016-2018: Developing a decision support system to improve crop management, yield forecasting and resource use efficiency in UK soft fruit production, Agri-Tech Catalyst (Researcher co-I)|
- Stavridou E., Kristensen H., Krumbein A., Schreiner M., Thorup-Kristensen K. (2012). The effect of differential N and S competition in inter- and sole cropping of Brassica species and lettuce on glucosinolate concentration. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 60. 6268–6278. DOI: 10.1021/jf300091e.
- Stavridou E., Young S., Thorup-Kristensen K. (2012). The effect of catch crop species on selenium availability for succeeding crops. Plant and Soil 351. 149-160. DOI: 10.1007/s11104-011-0940-6.
- Stavridou E., Thorup-Kristensen K., Young S.D. (2011). Assessment of selenium mineralization and availability from catch crops. Soil Use and Management 27. 305-311. DOI: 10.1111/j.1475-2743.2011.00343.x.
- Stavridou E., Broadley M. R., Thorup-Kristensen K., Young S. D. (2009). Net mineralization rate of selenium from plant material and inorganic salts. Banuelos , Gary S.; Lin, Zhiqing and Yin, Xuebin (Eds.) Selenium deficiency toxicity and biofortification for human health, University of Science and Technology of China Press, China. 44-45.
- Kataya A.R.A., Stavridou E., Farhan K., Livieratos I.C. (2008). Nucleotide sequence analysis and detection of a Greek isolate of Tomato chlorosis virus. Plant Pathology 57. 819-824. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-3059.2008.01845.x.