A new Best Practice Guide to UK plum production has been produced by NIAB EMR in collaboration with FAST LLP and three UK leading UK fruit growers. It brings together information on plum production in one place and develops from that information recommendations for Best Practice in the UK. Recommendations are made to encourage all UK tree fruit producers to adopt the best practices currently available for producing this crop.
The following topics are included:
- Information for preferred varieties and Database of high fruit quality varieties for extended season cropping between early July and October
- High intensity planting and tree training systems (pending)
- Protected cropping (pending)
- Soil health management and irrigation
- Orchard management to reduce frost damage
- Pollination of plums
- Flower and fruitlet thinning
- Growth Regulation
- Harvesting and storing plums
- Diseases including: bacterial canker, blossom wilt & brown rot, silver leaf, plum pox virus and plum rust
- Pests including: Plum fruit moth, Plum Aphid and Birds
- Economic Assessment
- UK commercial and demonstration orchards
This guide includes information and results from an Innovate UK-funded Sustainable Intensification of Plums project (click here for the close-out meeting presentation) and EUFRUIT project funding contributed to its compilation.