I assist on various research projects and commercial trials looking at a range of plant diseases, including apple scab, the use of biofumigants on reduction of Verticilium wilt, and a number of soft fruit pathogens. Additionaly I carry out the counts of Verticilium wilt in soil for the Plant Clinic. I am currently studying for a part-time PhD under the supervision of Prof. Xiangming Xu at EMR and Prof. Michael Shaw at the University of Reading. My project is titled ‘Population genetics and management of apple scab’, – I am looking at the effect of mixed cultivar orchards on the population genetics of Venturia inaequalis, the fungal pathogen responsible for apple scab.
- Rong Fang, Feng Wei, Thomas Passey, X-M. Xu. (2016). Identification of candidate soil microbes responsible for small-scale heterogeneity in strawberry vigour Journal of Integrative Agriculture (In press).
- F. Wei, T. Passey, X-M Xu . (2016). Effects of individual and combined use of bio-fumigation-derived products on the viability of Verticillium dahliae microsclerotia in soil Crop Protection, 79. 170-176; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2015.09.008.
- F. Wei, T.A.J. Passey, X.-M. Xu . (2016). Amplicon-based metabarcoding reveals temporal response of soil microbial community to fumigation-derived products Applied Soil Ecology. doi: 10.1016/j.apsoil.2016.03.009.
- T. A. J. Passey, M. W. Shaw, X.-M. Xu . (2015). Differentiation in populations of the apple scab fungus Venturia inaequalis on cultivars in a mixed orchard remain over time Plant Pathology . DOI: 10.1111/ppa.12492.
- X-M Xu, T Passey, F Wei, R Saville, RJ. Harrison . (2015). Amplicon-based metagenomics identified candidate organisms in soils that caused yield decline in strawberry Hort Res (Nature) 2, 15022. doi:10.1038/hortres.2015.22.
- Sargent, D.J., Passey, T., Šurbanovski N., Lopez Girona E., Kuchta P., Davik J., Harrison R., Passey, A.J., Whitehouse, A.B., Simpson, D.W. (2012). A microsatellite linkage map for the cultivated strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa) reveals extensive regions of homozygosity in the genome resulting from breeding and selection. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 124. 1229-1240.
- Yohalem, D. & Passey, T. (2011). Amendment of soils with fresh and post-extraction lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) and lavandin (Lavandula×intermedia) reduce inoculum of Verticillium dahliae and inhibit wilt in strawberry. Appl. Soil Ecol. 49. 187–196 .
- Yohalem, D., Lower, K., Harvey, N. & Passey, T. (2009). Potentilla reptans is an Alternative Host for Two Strawberry Viruses. J. Phytopathol. 157. 646–648 .