Dr Li (Lily) Zhang
I had a BSc degree in Physical Geography from Peking University, China and a PhD degree in Physical Geography and Remote Sensing from the University of Nottingham. After graduation from Peking University, I joined the Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth (RADI), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), and had nearly 10 years of research experience working on environmental remote sensing monitoring and modelling that covers a range of applications including forest fire detection, land-use mapping, soil erosion monitoring and modelling, desertification monitoring and management in China. I worked in Chinese GIS industry before I moved to the UK for a PhD. After my PhD and some research assistant work in the University of Nottingham, I worked in the King’s College London as a research associate, working on vegetated dune evolution mapping and modelling. I then worked as a research fellow for the Centre for Spatial Information, Remin University of China for a few years, mainly working on satellite remote sensing application to bioenergy, poverty assessment and urban development monitoring.
My research interests include multi- / hyper- spectral and Lidar remote sensing on environment and precision agriculture from various platforms and geographical information science (GIS). Being part of the Genetics, Genomics and Breeding team that works in a range of areas from trait identification, plant genetics and genomics, bioinformatics to molecular biology, my current focus is on the development and application of computational algorithms for vegetation hyperspectral imaging analysis on horticultural plants /fruits, UAV multispectral imaging and analysis on crops, high and medium resolution satellite imaging analysis for precision agriculture.
- Zhang, Li, Qu, Ge and Wang, Wen. (2015). Estimating Lagged Periods of Land Development Time lags in China using DMSP/OLS Nighttime Light Imagery in China Remote Sensing, 7(1). 882-904. Doi: 10.3390/rs70100882.
- Wang, Wen, Liu, Yuanda and Zhang, Li. (2013). The spatial distribution of cereal bioenergy potential in China GCB Bioengery, 5 (5). 525-535. Doi: 10.1111/gcbb.12024.
- Wang, Wen, Cheng, Hui and Zhang, Li. (2012). Poverty assessment using DMSP/OLS night-time light satellite imagery at a provincial scale in China Advances in Space Research, 49 (8). 1253-64. DOI: 10.1016/j.asr.2012.01.025.
- Zhang, Li, and Baas, Andreas C.W.. (2012). Mapping functional vegetarian abundance in a coastal dune environment using a combination of LSMA and MLC: a case study at Kenfig NNR, Wales International Journal of Remote Sensing, 33 (16). 5043-71. Doi: 10.1080/01431161.2012.657369.
- Zhang, Li, Steven, M.D., Clarke, M.L. and Jaggard, K.W.. (2011). Spatial Patterns of Wilting in Sugar Beet as an Indicator for Precision Irrigation Precision Agriculture 12 (2). 296-316. Doi: 1007/s11119-010-9177-2.