Dr Emma Tilston
My research focuses on plant-soil-microbial interactions with the aim of improving the sustainability of both soil-based and containerized horticultural systems. I have specific research interests in the microbial ecology and allied decomposition and nutrient cycling processes occurring in the vicinity of plant roots (the rhizosphere) and wider soil. These interests have contributed to a variety of research programmes addressing topical issues in soil science including the production and use of composts, the biocontrol of soilborne plant pathogens and the below-ground impacts of climate change and new technologies such as genetically modified plants and nanoparticles.
- Gilhespy, S.L., Anthony, S., Cardenas, L., Chadwick, D., del Prado, A., Li, C., Misselbrook, T., Rees, R.M., Salas, W., Sanz-Cobena, A., Smith, P., Tilston, E.L., Topp, C.F.E., Vetter, S., Yeluripati, J.B. (2014). First 20 years of DNDC (DeNitrification DeComposition): Model evolution Ecological Modelling 292. 51-62.
- Bird, M.I., Levchenko, V., Ascough, P.L., Meredith, W., Wurster, C.M., Williams, A., Tilston, E.L., Snape, C.E., Apperley, D.C. (2014). The efficiency of charcoal decontamination for radiocarbon dating by three pre-treatments - ABOX, ABA and hypy Quaternary Geochronology 22. 25-32.
- Tilston, E.L., Halpin, C., Hopkins, D.W. (2014). Simultaneous down-regulation of enzymes in the phenylpropanoid pathway of plants has aggregated effects on rhizosphere microbial communities Biology and Fertility of Soils 50. 455-463.
- Tilston, E.L., Collins, C.D., Mitchell, G.R., Princivalle, J., Shaw, L.J. (2013). Nanoscale zerovalent iron alters soil bacterial community structure and inhibits chloroaromatic biodegradation potential in Aroclor-1242 contaminated soil. Environmental Pollution 173. 38-46.
- Tilston, E.L., Halpin, C., Hopkins, D.W. (2013). Decomposition of tobacco roots with modified phenylpropanoid content by fungi with contrasting lignocellulose degradation strategies. Biology and Fertility of Soils 49. 305-311.
- Meredith, W., Ascough, P.L., Bird, M.I., Large, D.J., Snape, C.E., Song, J., Sun Y., Tilston, E.L. (2013). Direct evidence from hydropyrolysis for the retention of paraffinic structures in soil Black Carbon fractions isolated by acidified dichromate oxidation. Journal of Analytical & Applied Pyrolysis 103. 232-239.
- Tilston, E.L., Halpin, C., Hopkins, D.W. (2013). Simultaneous down-regulation of enzymes in the phenylpropanoid pathway of plants has aggregated effects on rhizosphere microbial communities. Biology and Fertility of Soils. DOI 10.1007/s00374-013-0862-y.
- Abdallah, M.A.E., Tilston, E., Harrad, S., Collins, C. (2012). In vitro assessment of bioaccessibility of brominated flame retardants in indoor dust using a colon extended model of the human gastrointestinal tract. Journal of Environmental Monitoring 14. 3276-3283.
- Meredith, W., Ascough, P.L., Bird, M.I., Large, D.J., Snape, C.E., Sun, Y., Tilston, E.L. (2012). Assessment of hydropyrolysis as a method for the quantification of black carbon via the testing of standard reference materials. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 97. 131-141.
- Sizmur, T., Tilston, E.L., Charnock, J., Palumbo-Roe, B., Watts, M.J., Hodson, M.E . (2011). Impacts of epigeic, anecic and endogeic earthworms on metal and metalloid mobility and availability. Journal of Environmental Monitoring 13. 266-273.
- Cullen, L., Tilston, E.L., Mitchell, G., Collins, C., Shaw, L.J. (2011). Assessing the impact of nano- and micro-scale zerovalent iron particles on soil microbial activities: particle reactivity interferes with assay conditions and interpretation of genuine microbial effects. Chemosphere 82. 1675-1682.
- Tilston, E.L., Gibson, G.R., Collins, C.D. (2011). Colon extended-PBET increases bioaccessibility of soil-bound PAH. Environmental Science & Technology 45. 5301-5308.
- Tilston, E.L., Sparrman, T. Öquist, M.G. (2010). Unfrozen water content moderates temperature dependence of sub-zero microbial respiration. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 42. 1396-1407.
- Harrysson-Drotz, S., Tilston, E.L., Sparrman, T., Schleucher, J., Nilsson, M., Öquist, M.G. (2009). Contributions of matric and osmotic potentials to the unfrozen water content of frozen soils. Geoderma 148. 392-398.
- Tilston, E.L., Szili- Kovács, T., Hopkins, D.W. (2009). Contributions of labile and persistent organic materials to the immobilization of inorganic soil N used in the restoration of abandoned arable fields. Soil Use and Management 25. 168-174.
- Tilston, E.L., Halpin, C., Hopkins, D.W. (2008). Tissue culture propagation alters plant–microbe interactions in tobacco rhizosphere. Biology and Fertility of Soils 44. 897-901.
- Webster, E.A., Tilston, E.L., Chudek, J.A., Hopkins, D.W. (2008). Decomposition in soil and chemical characteristics of pollen. European Journal of Soil Science 59. 551-558.
- Halpin, C., Thain, S.C., Tilston, E.L., Guiney, E., Lapierre, C., Hopkins, D.W. (2007). Ecological impacts of trees with modified lignin. Tree Genetics & Genomes 3. 101–110.
- Szili-Kovács, T., Török, K., Tilston, E.L., Hopkins, D.W. (2007). Promoting microbial immobilization of soil nitrogen during restoration of abandoned agricultural fields by organic additions. Biology and Fertility of Soils 43. 823-828.
- Hopkins, D.W., Webster, E.A., Tilston, E.L. and Halpin, C. (2006). Influence of available substrates on the decomposition in soil of plant materials with genetic modifications to lignin biosynthesis. European Journal of Soil Science, Special issue on processes controlling soil organic matter stabilization and turnover 57. 495-503.
- Hopkins, D.W., Sparrow, A.D., Elberling, B., Gregorich, E.G., Novis, P.M., Greenfield, L.G., Tilston, E.L. (2006). Carbon, nitrogen and temperature controls on microbial activity in 7 soils from an Antarctic dry valley. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, Special issue on Antarctic soil ecology 38. 3130-3140.
- Webster, E.A., Halpin, C., Chudek, J.A., Tilston, E.L. and Hopkins, D.W. (2005). Decomposition in soil of soluble, insoluble and lignin-rich fractions of plant material from tobacco with genetic modifications to lignin biosynthesis. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 37. 751-760.
- Hopkins, D.W., Marinari, S., Tilston, E.L. and Halpin, C. (2005). Lumbricus terrestris reduce differences during decomposition in C and N transformations between plants with genetic modifications to lignin biosynthesis. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 37. 1141-1144.
- Tilston, E.L., Pitt, D., Fuller, M.P. and Groenhof, A.C. (2005). Compost increases yield and decreases take-all severity in winter wheat. Field Crops Research 94. 176-188.
- Tilston, E.L., Halpin, C. and Hopkins, D.W. (2004). Variability in decomposition rate of woody trunks from field-grown poplar trees with modification to lignin biosynthesis. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 36. 1903-1906.
- Tilston, E.L., Pitt, D. and Groenhof, A.C. (2002). Composted recycled organic matter suppresses soil-borne diseases of field crops. New Phytologist 154. 731-740.