Dr Bethany Greenfield
I have a general interest in understanding the underlying mechanism of host-pathogen interactions of fungi. Previously my research focused on investigating the underlying mechanisms conveying pathogenesis, virulence and specificity of entomopathogenic fungi Metarhizium anisopliae for use in vector and agri-forestry pest control. Through this research I have developed a keen interest in investigating how microorganisms have evolved to exploit their environment to obtain nutrients and develop.
I am keen to explore interactions in other host-pathogen systems, and will now be focusing on the those between fungi and perennial crops.
- Bethany P.J. Greenfield, Andy Peace, Hugh Evans, Ed Dudley, Minshad A. Ansari & Tariq M. Butt. (2015). Identification of Metarhizium strains highly efficacious against Aedes, Anopheles and Culex larvae Biocontrol Science and Technology 25(5). pages 487-502 DOI:10.1080/09583157.2014.989813.
- Abdullah ZS, Greenfield BP, Ficken KJ, Taylor JW, Wood M, Butt TM. (2015). A new attractant for monitoring Western Flower Thrips, Frankliniella occidentalis in protected crops PubMed. Springerplus. 2015 Feb 24;4:89. doi: 10.1186/s40064-015-0864-3. eCollection 2015..
- Abdullah ZS, Ficken KJ, Greenfield BP, Butt TM.. (2014). Innate responses to putative ancestral hosts: is the attraction of western flower thrips to pine pollen a result of relict olfactory receptors? J Chem Ecol 40(6). 534-40. doi: 10.1007/s10886-014-0450-0. Epub 2014 May 31..
- Bethany P. J. Greenfield, Alex M. Lord, Ed Dudley, Tariq M. Butt. (2014). Conidia of the insect pathogenic fungus, Metarhizium anisopliae, fail to adhere to mosquito larval cuticle. The Royal Society Publishing. 22 October 2014.DOI: 10.1098/rsos.140193.
- Butt TM, Greenfield BP, Greig C, Maffeis TG, Taylor JW, Piasecka J, Dudley E, Abdulla A, Dubovskiy IM, Garrido-Jurado I, Quesada-Moraga E, Penny MW, Eastwood DC. (2013). Metarhizium anisopliae pathogenesis of mosquito larvae: a verdict of accidental death PLoS One. 2013 Dec 13;8(12):e81686. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0081686.
- B P J Greenfield. (2011). Environmental parameters affecting tick (Ixodes ricinus) distribution during the summer season in Richmond Park, London Bioscience Horizons (2011) 4 (2). 140-148. doi: 10.1093/biohorizons/hzr016.