My main area of work and research interest are: substitution of peat and waste utilization in horticultural growing media; mushroom agronomy and pathology; control of soil-borne pathogens using bio-control organisms and organic amendments; eradication of plant pathogens during anaerobic digestion and green waste composting; reduction of odour and water pollution in mushroom composting.
- Noble R, Dobrovin-Pennington A, Pietravalle S, Henry CM . (2013). Composting of rhododendron and bilberry wastes to contain the spread of the exotic plant pathogens Phytophthora kernoviae and Phytophthora ramorum. Compost Science & Utilization 19. 219-225.
- Eastwood DC, Herman B, Noble R, Dobrovin-Pennington A, Sreenivasaprasad S, Burton KS . (2013). Environmental regulation of reproductive phase change in Agaricus bisporus by 1-octen-3-ol, temperature and CO2. . Fungal Genetics and Biology 55. 54-66.
- Noble R, Blackburn J, Thorp G, Dobrovin-Pennington A, Pietravalle S, Kerins G, Allnutt TR, Henry CM . (2011). Potential for eradication of the exotic plant pathogens Phytophthora kernoviae and Phytophthora ramorum during composting. Plant Pathology 60. 1077-1085.
- Noble R, Dobrovin-Pennington A, Pietravalle S, Weekes R, Henry CM. (2011). Indicator organisms for assessing sanitization during composting of plant wastes. Waste Management 31. 1711-1719.
- Noble R, Dobrovin-Pennington A, Hobbs PJ, Pederby J, Rodger A . (2009). Volatile 8-carbon compounds and pseudomonads influence initiation of Agaricus bisporus primordia. Mycologia 101. 583-591.
- Noble R, Dobrovin-Pennington A, Wright C, Hobbs PJ, Williams J. (2009). Aeration affects analysis and odor of recycled water from mushroom composting sites. Journal of Environmental Quality 38. 1493-1500..