Recent publications – Xiangming Xu
- L.V. Madden, G. Hughes, W. Bucker Moraes, X.-M. Xu, W. W. Turechek (2017) Twenty-Five Years of the Binary Power Law for Characterizing Heterogeneity of Disease Incidence. Phytopathology In press
- Wang J.-J., Tao F., Tian W., Guo Z.F., Chen X.M., Xu X.-M., Shang H.S., Hu X.P. (2017) The wheat WRKY transcription factors TaWRKY49 and TaWRKY62 confer differential high-Temperature seedling-plant resistance to Puccinia striiformis sp. Tritici. PLOS ONE, July 25, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0181963
- Tang X.L., Cao X.-R., Luo Y., Ma, Z.H., Xu, X.-M., Jiang, Y.-Y., Fan, J.-R. Zhou Y.-L. (2017) Effects of climate change on epidemics of powdery mildew in winter wheat in China. Plant Disease, 101 (10), 1753-1760
- Xueren Cao, X-M. Xu, Haiyan Che, Yi Yang, Daquan Luo (2017) Distribution and fungicide sensitivity of Colletotrichum species complexes from rubber tree in Hainan, China. Plant Disease, 101 (10), 1774-1780
- Brown, S. Denman, S. Kirk, D. Williams, X.-M. Xu, M. Jeger (2017) The relationship between stem bleeding and D-shaped exit holes within acute oak decline sites. Agricultural and Forest Entomology, Forests, 87; doi:10.3390/f8030087
- Johann Martinez, E Luedeling, X-M. Xu, P. Hadley (2017) Delayed chilling appears to counteract flowering advances of apricot in southern UK. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 237-238, 209–218
- A.J. Passey, J.D. Robinson, M.W. Shaw, X.-M. Xu (2017) The relative importance of conidia and ascospores as primary inoculum of Venturia inaequalis in the United Kingdom. Plant Pathology, doi: 10.1111/ppa.12686
- Bernat, J. Segarra, X.-M. Xu, C. Casals, J. Usall (2017) Influence of temperature on decay, and mycelium development and sporodochia production caused by Monilinia fructicola and M. laxa on stone fruits. Food Microbiology 64, 112-118
- L-J Ma, X-P Hu, X-M Xu (2017) Effect of controlled fluctuating low temperatures on survival of Puccinia striiformis sp. Tritici. European Journal of Plant Pathology, 147: 713–716, doi:10.1007/s10658-016-1022-7
- Hu X-P, Ma L-J, Liu T-G, Wang C-H Wang, Peng Y-L, Pu Q, Xu X-M (2016) Population genetic analysis of Puccinia striiformis sp. tritici suggests two distinct populations in Tibet and the other regions of China. Plant Disease, 101: 288–296.
- Fan, S.J. Klosterman, C.-H. Wang, K.V. Subbarao, X.-M. Xu, W.J. Shang, X.-P. Hu (2016) Vayg1 is required for microsclerotium formation and melanin production in Verticillium dahliae. Fungal Genetics and Biology. 98: 1-11. doi: 10.1016/j.fgb.2016.11.003.
- Gomez-Cortecero, R.J. Saville, R.W.A. Scheper, J.K. Bowen, H.A. de Medeiros, J. Kingsnorth, X.-M. Xu, R.J. Harrison (2016) Variation in host and pathogen in the Neonectria/Malus interaction; towards an understanding of the genetic basis of resistance to European canker. Frontiers in Plant Science, 15 September 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.01365
- Louisa Robinson Boyer, Feng Wei, Natallia Gulbis, Klara Hajdu, Richard Jonathan Harrison, Peter Jeffries, X-M. Xu (2016) The use of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi to improve strawberry production in coir substrate. Frontiers in Plant Science. 19 August 2016,http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.01237
- Zhao, G.-L. Zhang, B.-H. Li, X-M. Xu, X.-L. Dong, C.X. Wang and G.F. Li (2016) Seasonal dynamics of Botryosphaeria dothidea infections and symptom development on apple fruits and shoots in China. European Journal of Plant Pathology, 146, 507–518; DOI 10.1007/s10658-016-0935-5
- J-J Wang, F Tao, F An, YP Zou, W Tian, XM Chen, X-M Xu and XP Hu (2016) Wheat transcription factor TaWRKY70 is positively involved in high-temperature seedling-plant resistance to Puccinia striiformis f. sp. Tritici. Molecular Plant Pathology: DOI: 10.1111/mpp.12425
- Cao X-R, Yao D-M, Zhou Y-L, West JS, Xu X-M, Luo Y, Ding K-J, Fan J-R, Duan X-Y. (2016). Detection and quantification of airborne inoculum of Blumeria graminis sp. Tritici using quantitative PCR European Journal of Plant Pathology. 10.1007/s10658-016-0908-8
- Feng Wei, Rong Fang, Thomas Passey, X-M. Xu (2016) Identification of candidate soil microbes responsible for small-scale heterogeneity in strawberry vigour. Journal of Integrative Agriculture, 15, 2049-2058
- Ma L-J, Qiao J-X, Kong X-Y, Wang J-J, Xu X.-M, Hu X-P (2016). An improved method for RNA extraction from urediniospores of and wheat leaves infected by an obligate fungal pathogen, Puccinia striiformis sp. Tritici. Journal of Integrative Agriculture DOI: 10.1016/S2095-3119(15)61250-3
- Feng Wei, Xiaoping Hu, X-M. Xu (2016) Dispersal of Bacillus subtilis and its effect on strawberry phyllosphere microbiota under open field and protection conditions. Scientific Report 6, Article number: 22611 (2016) doi:10.1038/srep22611
- Wei, T. Passey, X-M Xu (2016) Effects of individual and combined use of bio-fumigation-derived products on the viability of Verticillium dahliae microsclerotia in soil. Crop Protection, 79, 170-176; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2015.09.008.
- Wei, T.A.J. Passey, X.-M. Xu (2016) Amplicon-based metabarcoding reveals temporal response of soil microbial community to fumigation-derived products. Applied Soil Ecology, doi: 10.1016/j.apsoil.2016.03.009
- L-J Ma, X-Yu Kong, J-X Qiao, F An, X-P Hu, X-M Xu (2015) Overwintering of Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici on winter wheat plants at sites of varying altitudes in Gansu and Qinghai provinces. Plant Disease http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-09-15-1112-RE
- A. J. Passey, M. W. Shaw, X.-M. Xu (2015) Differentiation in populations of the apple scab fungus Venturia inaequalis on cultivars in a mixed orchard remain over time. Plant Pathology DOI: 10.1111/ppa.12492
- Brown, M. Jeger, S. Kirk, X-M Xu, S. Denman (2015) Spatial and temporal patterns in symptom expression within woodland affected by Acute Oak Decline. Forestry Ecology and Management doi:10.1016/j.foreco.2015.10.026
- J. Ma, J.X. Qiao, X.Y. Kong, Y.P. Zou, X-M Xu, X-M Chen, X-P Hu (2015) Effect of low temperature and wheat winter-hardiness on survival of Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici under controlled conditions. PLOS One 10(6): e0130691. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0130691
- Feng Wei, Wenjing Shang, Jiarong Yang, Xiaoping Hu, X-M. Xu (2015) Spatial Pattern of Verticillium dahliae Microsclerotia and Cotton Wilt in Commercial Fields, PLoS ONE 10(7): e0132812. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0132812
- X-M Xu, T Passey, F Wei, R Saville, RJ. Harrison (2015) Amplicon-based metagenomics identified candidate organisms in soils that caused yield decline in strawberry. Hort Res (Nature) 2, 15022; doi:10.1038/hortres.2015.22
- M.J. Jeger and X.-M. Xu (2015) Modelling biological control of a fungal plant pathogen which affects both leaves and flowers: implications for biocontrol strategies. Ecological Modelling, 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2015.06.015
- X-P Hu, LV Madden, S Edwards, X-M Xu (2015) Combining models is more likely to give better predictions. Phytopathology 105: 1174-82
- R. Cao, Y. Luo, Y.L .Zhou, J.R. Fan, X.-M. Xu, J.S. West, X.Y. Duan, D.F. Cheng (2015) Detection of powdery mildew in two winter wheat plant densities and prediction of grain yield using canopy hyperspectral reflectance. PLOS One, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0121462
- X-M. Xu and X.-P. Hu (2015) Statistical analysis of data commonly occurred in plant pathology. Chinese Plant Pathology (Chinese). Acta Phytopathologica Sinica, 45: 1-6
- Cao X–R, Yao D-M, Zhou Y-L, Ding K-J, Duan X-Y, Fan J-R, Luo Y, Xu X.-M (2015). Development of weather- and airborne inoculum-based models to describe disease severity of wheat powdery mildew. Plant Disease, 99: 395-400
- F Wei, R. Fan, H.-T. Dong, W.J. Shang, X-M. Xu, H.-Q Zhu, J.-R. Yang, X.-P. Hu (2015) Threshold microsclerotial inoculum for cotton Verticillium wilt determined through wet-sieving and real-time quantitative PCR. Phytopathology, 105: 220-229
- Debode, W. Van Hemelrijck, X.-M. Xu, M. Maes, P. Creemers, K. Heungens (2015) Latent introduction and spread of Colletotrichum acutatum in strawberry fields. Plant Pathology, 64: 385–395, DOI: 10.1111/ppa.12247
- L. Robinson-Bower, P. Brain, P. Jeffries, X.-M. Xu (2015) Effect of inoculation of drought-stressed strawberry with a mixed inoculum of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: qPCR studies of population dynamics of inoculum in roots. Mycorrhizae, 25: 215-27. DOI 10.1007/s00572-014-0603-6
- J-J Wang, F Tao, F An, X-M Xu, X-P Hu (2014) Selection of reference genes in wheat stressed by temperature and Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici. Acta Phytopathologica Sinica, 44: 497-503.
- L. Robinson-Bower, P. Brain, P. Jeffries, X.-M. Xu (2014) Effect of inoculation of drought-stressed strawberry with a mixed inoculum of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: qPCR studies of population dynamics of inoculum in roots. Mycorrhizae DOI 10.1007/s00572-014-0603-6
- X.-M. Xu, N. Rungjindamai, P. Jeffries (2014) A novel strategy to reduce overwintering inoculum of Monilinia laxa. European Journal of Plant Pathology, 140: 591-596
- D.-F. Hu, W.-J. Shang, Y.W. Bai, X.-M. Xu, X.-P. Hu (2014) Whole genome wide expression profiles of germination of Verticillium dahliae microsclerotia. PLOS One, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0100046
- N. Rungjindamai, P. Jeffries, X.-M. Xu (2014) Epidemiology and management of brown rot on stone fruit caused by Monilinia laxa. European. Journal of Plant Pathology, 140: 1-17. DOI 10.1007/s10658-014-0452-3
- X.-M. Xu, C. N. Jay, M. T. Fountain, J. Linka, J. D. Fitzgerald (2014) Development and validation of a model forecasting the phenology of European tarnished plant bug (Lygus rugulipennis) in the UK. Agricultural and Forestry Entomology, 16: 265-272.
- X.-M. Xu, L.V. Madden, S.G. Edwards (2014) Relating HT2 andT2 toxin accumulation in field oat grains to environmental conditions. Phytopathology, 104: 57-66.
- X.-M. Xu, L.V. Madden (2014)The limits of the binary power law describing spatial variability for incidence data. Plant Pathology, 63: 973-82, 10.1111/ppa.12172
- X.-M. Xu, L.V. Madden, S.G. Edwards, F.M. Doohan, A. Moretti, L. Hornok, P. Nicholson, A. Rietini (2013) Developing logistic models to relate the accumulation of DON associated with Fusarium head blight to climatic conditions in Europe. European Journal of Plant Pathology, 137: 689-706.
- N. Rungjindamai, X.-M. Xu, P. Jeffries (2013) Identification and characterisation of new microbial Strains for biocontrol of Monilinia laxa, the causal agent of brown rot on stone fruit. Agronomy 3: 685-703; doi:10.3390/agronomy3040685.
- Li, B-N, Cao X-R, Chen L, Zhou Y-L, Duan X-Y, Luo Y, Fitt BDL, Xu X-M, Song Y-L, Wang B-T, Cao S-Q (2013) Application of geographic information systems to identify the oversummering regions of Blumeria graminis f. sp. tritici in China. Plant Disease, 97: 1168-1174
- X.-M. Xu, M. J. Jeger (2013) Synergy may result from combined use of two biocontrol agents for controlling foliar pathogens under spatial heterogeneous conditions: a simulation study. Phytopathology,103:768-775
- X.-P. Hu, Y.-W. Bai, T. Chen, D.F. Hu, J.R. Yang, X.-M. Xu (2013) An optimized method for in vitro production of Verticillium dahliae microsclerotia. European Journal of Plant Pathology, 135: 225-229
- X.-M. Xu, M. J. Jeger (2013) Combined use of two biocontrol agents with different biocontrol mechanisms most likely results in less than expected efficacy in controlling foliar pathogens under fluctuating conditions: a modelling study. Phytopathology 103: 108-116
- X.-M. Xu, J.D. Robinson, M.A. Else (2013) Effects of nitrogen input and deficit irrigation within the commercial acceptable range on susceptibility of strawberry leaves to powdery mildew. European Journal of Plant Pathology, 135: 695-701
- X.-M. Xu, N. Harvey, A. Roberts, D.J. Barbara (2013) Population variation of apple scab (Venturia inaequalis) isolates within mixed orchards in the UK. European Journal of Plant Pathology, 135: 97-104